Wednesday, July 18, 2012

PHI-nominal Phi: Leilani Mahoney

"The Emerging Leaders Institute (ELI) is a five day intensive opportunity for freshman and sophomore Alpha Phi women to better define their voice, identify their leadership skills and abilities. My experience at the Emerging Leadership Institute (ELI) was an amazing not only as a member of Alpha Phi, but it also shaped me as a person.  It was definitely an adventure going to Indianapolis for five days without knowing anyone else. Comforting was the fact that I was going to be meeting new sisters from across the country. I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly everyone clicked with one another, and how I could see the Alpha Phi qualities in each girl I met. The leadership conference was all expenses paid by the Alpha Phi Foundation, providing myself and other women of Alpha Phi the chance to develop a better connection the sorority and how to truly become a leader. I stayed at the Alpha Phi house at Butler University which was also very exciting for me since we do not have sorority houses at Loyola Marymount.

The five days included several activities that kept all the girls busy and helped us form friendships that will last a lifetime. In our down time, the girls chatted about their different events, traded their favorite Alpha Phi shirts, and already started planning visits to see one another. My favorite activity was the zip-lining and ropes course where I learned about risk taking, trust, and the power one has to take initiative. While learning about Alpha Phi in terms of the sacred values and importance of ritual, I also began to realize my place in the sorority goes beyond just being a member. It definitely deepened my love for Alpha Phi and has motivated me to become even more involved to make a difference for the Zeta Beta chapter.

I have nothing but pure appreciation for the Alpha Phi Foundation for offering this opportunity to our chapter and highly recommend that more of my sisters should attend ELI in the future. It was an enriching and life changing experience that had a positive impact on my views towards Alpha Phi and my capabilities as a person and leader!"

Alpha Phi Love & Mine,
Leilani Mahoney
Class of 2015







No comments:

Post a Comment